Introduction to Ayurveda and Health
“Ayurveda” – the science of life, is one of the oldest forms of medicine known to man, originating in the Indian sub-continent, dating back about 3000 years. Ayurveda is gaining in popularity as people become more health conscious and explore traditional medical systems.
Ayurveda is a comprehensive and scientific system of medicine based on natural products, promoting a healthy & long life, and can complement modern medicine. Ayurveda has two main aims: to treat the root cause of the disease and manage the disease where it has already occurred, and to prevent disease through purification and strengthening of the immune system. Ayurveda treats the body, mind and spirit of a person as a whole entity, and works on the basis that the mind and body affect each other, and together can overcome disease. Click here for more.
Barberyn establishes Authentic Ayurveda Medical Centre for the public
The beautifully restored ancestral property of the Rodrigo family which is the home of Barberyns Institute of Ayurveda and Alternative Medicine (IAAM) opens its doors to provide Authentic Ayurveda Medicine to the general public.
Click here for further information
The Institute of Ayurveda and Alternative Medicine
The Institute of Ayurveda and Alternative Medicine was established by Barberyn to provide the institutional framework for the research, training and development work it wished to carry out to nurture and promote Ayurveda in Sri Lanka. The Institute has the following primary objectives;
The Institute works in close collaboration with Barberyn Ayurveda Resorts and the information presented in this web site is the result of joint research and development done with Barberyn and it’s partners. The residential training courses are conducted at Barberyn Reef Ayurveda Resort., Beruwela, Sri Lanka
- To promote Ayurveda and alternative medicine.
- To provide a forum for dissemination of information for the advancement of knowledge in Ayurveda and alternative medicine.
- To provide training in the field of Ayurveda and other forms of alternative medicine
- To carry out research and training for the development of Ayurveda and other forms of alternative medicine
- To set up and maintain herbariums and arboreta especially for growing producing and collection of plants herbs relevant to or required for Ayurveda and other forms of alternative medicine.
- To set up and operate laboratories, pharmacies and clinics for the preparation of Ayurveda products and to practise Ayurveda and alternative medicine
- To carry out reseach and training in activities complimentary to the practice of Ayurveda including Yoga and traditional arts and culture.
Ayurvedic Medicinal Plants of Sri Lanka > NEW
The first scientific database of native Sri Lankan plants used in Ayurvedic medicine.
Barberyn Ayurveda Resorts (through their Institute of Ayurveda and Alternative Medicine), have worked with the University of Ruhuna, Department of Botany, to prepare this ‘Ayurvedic Medicinal Plant Website’ which contains details of the medicinal plants of Sri Lanka used in all the traditional systems of medicine that have been integrated with Ayurveda.
This is the first attempt to collate information on the Ayurvedic plants that grow in the diverse ecological environment in Sri Lanka.
Click here to look at the website